Research and Development
Eco Material actively pursues the advancement of coal combustion products (CCPs) through research and development and practical innovation. Eco Material’s technology and marketing departments coupled with a state-of-the-art laboratory provide a platform that ensures that Eco Material maintains its position at the forefront of CCP development. Staffed with a multi-disciplinary collection of advanced – degreed engineers, chemists, and material scientists, Eco Material’s technical departments are appropriately trained and experienced to conduct both long-term, mechanistic R&D projects as well as to provide effective solutions for everyday real-world problems in real time.
Technological developments have led to the filing of six patents by Eco Material in recent years in areas ranging from concrete mix designs, to functional fillers in polymeric systems, to a means for beneficiating fly ash with respect to air entrainment in concrete. Most importantly, many of these technologies have been translated into real commercial activities.
Eco Material’s technical staff contributes to the utilization of CCPs in a broad sense by filling leadership roles in industry associations and technical specifying agencies such as the American Coal Ash Association, the American Concrete Institute and the American Society of Testing and Materials.
Recent developmental activities encompass both fundamental and practical applications including:
- Class C fly ash hydration mechanisms and cement system compatibility
- Staining mechanisms of Class C fly ash
- Fly ash rheology and physical performance in various polymeric systems
- Chemically activated fly ash performance
- Activation of bottom ash
- Fundamental characterization of fly ash carbon
- Means of passivating fly ash carbon
- Fly ash beneficiation technologies
- Air entrainment interactions
- Ammonia release rates from fly ash
- High volume fly ash concrete
- Improved means of quality testing for fly ash
- Influence of activated carbon on fly ash performance
- ASR and sulfate resistance of fly ash concrete
- Performance of ultra fine fly ash in concrete
- Fly ash concrete mix designs
- Fly ash/lime mixtures for structural fill